Santiago R. Perez
Santiago R. Perez
Architecture - Lecturer
Santiago R. Pérez is currently a Lecturer at the University of Nebraska College of Architecture. Pérez served as Assistant Professor and 21st Century Endowed Chair in Integrated Practice at the University of Arkansas, Fay Jones School of Architecture from 2010 to 2016. He has taught previously at the University of Houston, the University of South Florida, and the University of Arizona, and in the accelerated summer program for incoming Doctor of Architecture students at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Oahu.
Pérez concentrates his research, teaching and design on the confluence between Material Practice + Digital Fabrication, culminating in both small-scale assemblages and objects, and large-scale, site-specific installations and pavilions. This trajectory has culminated in two recently completed pavilions- the ROBOFAB Bike Trail Pavilion, and the new public Visitor Pavilion for the Bachman Wilson House, a relocated “Usonian” house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, at the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas. In addition to research pavilions, Pérez is actively developing new material workflows through workshops and seminars, most recently in an invited ELASTIC BOUNDARIES workshop at the University of Alicante, Spain in 2016, as one of a series of international workshops coordinated by Dr. Javier Sánchez Merina.
Pérez is on the Fulbright Specialist Scholar Roster, and was nominated in 2012 for consideration in the USA Fellows United States Artists Fellowship. He received a Master of Architecture with Distinction from the Harvard Graduate School of Design. A foundational influence in teaching and research, early in his career, was a year in Japan, as a Research Fellow in Residence in the offices of Tadao Ando in Osaka, and the AMORPHE office in Tokyo, headed by Kiyoshi Sey Takeyama.
Focusing on the relation between material culture, fabrication and making, Pérez publishes and lectures widely both in the US and Internationally. Recent publications include:
- An upcoming essay titled “Loss of Control: Error, Glitch and Imperfection in Architecture” will be published in Lineament: Materiality, Geometry and Representation in Architecture.
- A seminal essay on fabrication essay titled “Towards an Ecology of Making.” published in MATTER: MATERIAL PROCESSES IN ARCHITECTURAL PRODUCTION, edited by Borden & Meredith, 2012.
- ParaBodies: Rethinking Material InTuition in the Age of Parametric Design, published in UNCONVENTIONAL COMPUTING: DESIGN METHODS FOR ADAPTIVE ARCHITECTURE, Rachel Armstrong & Simone Ferracina, eds. 2013.
- Post-Parametric Design Intelligence, Presented at the ACSA International Conference, Barcelona 2012. - Rethinking Post-Vanguard Conceptual Practices, Presented at the ACSA International Conference, Barcelona 2012.
- Structural and Material Innovation in Architecture published in OUTSIDE THE BOX: CARDBOARD DESIGN NOW, Michael Czerwinski and Santiago Perez, guest editors, 2010.
Pérez is currently recalibrating and widening the discourse surrounding fabrication + making, towards a more critical social, environmental and conceptual level of practice and integration of technologies. These new initiatives are part of a broader work in progress.
For additional information please visit: SRPLAB www.srplab.net AdaptiveDesignLab www.adaptivedesignlab.com