Master of Community and Regional Planning

Students discussing impact of bike lane

The Master of Community and Regional Planning (MCRP) degree program is nationally accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board. The coursework for the MCRP degree requires completion of 48 graduate credit hours.

Prerequisite: All students must have earned a bachelor's degree in any field.

Students may utilize elective credit hours in the MCRP program for courses of personal interest for pursuing interdepartmental areas of specialization, dual degree programs or graduate certificate programs.

Three dual degree programs are offered in tandem with the MCRP: Juris Doctor (JD),  Master of Architecture (MArch) or Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MS-CE) with a specialization in either transportation, environmental or water resources engineering. 

Alternatively, students can elect to take on an interdepartmental specialization in Environmental Studies, Great Plains Studies, or Water Resources Planning and Management.

A Graduate Certificate in Public Management may be included as part of the MCRP degree. The Certificate consists of 15 graduate credit hours and is offered online by the Public Administration program at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.  Click here to learn more about the Graduate Certificate in Public Management.

MCRP Curriculum

The MCRP curriculum requires 48 graduate credit hours for graduation and are divided into two main curriculum areas: Core Courses and Completion Tracks.

Core Courses

The core curriculum consists of 8 required courses, each 3 credit hours, comprising a total of 24 graduate credit hours:

  • CRPL 800 "Introduction to Planning"

  • CPRL 802 "Planning Theory"

  • CRPL 804 "Legal Aspects of Planning"

  • CRPL 810 "Qualitative Techniques"

  • CRPL 830 "Planning with GIS"

  • CRPL 840 "Planning Methods and Analysis"

  • CRPL 900 "Professional Planning Practice"

  • CRPL 990 "Planning Studio"

Completion Tracks

Students complete one of four completion tracks that affect the number of elective credit hours needed for graduation. The four completion tracks, with links to further information about each, are:

Community and Regional Planning Graduate Minor

We also offer a Graduate Minor in Community and Regional Planning. Read more!

Contact Info

College of Architecture
232 Architecture Hall
Lincoln NE 68588-0106
( On-campus, 2-9229 )